notes from the girl next door

Saturday, July 16, 2005

a tower of candy and yardwork deja vu ...

i had a wonderful birthday, albeit a little strange.

so i mowed the front yard, and trimmed the deadly hedge. it is named the deadly hedge because it has a growth of poison ivy and oak and a multitude of wasps and other stinging things that live in there, and also because today i shorted out a power cord when i cut thru it with the trimmers. no big deal, i have about 8 of those dumb cords anyway.

so i felt very accomplished. my yard is so beautiful, all fresh and green and lovely.
i started reading my old journals to get a read on what i've done on my past birthdays, and i found that in 2001 on my birthday i was mowing grass and trimming hedges, just like today. in 2003 i did it on july 12th. there must be something empowering about yardwork that makes me feel like i need to do it on my birthday or during my birthweek.

my sweet boyfriend sent me another present today ! a whole tower of candy !!!!!
there are few things in the world that i love as much as candy. and he knows this. the candy package came with 3 separate boxes. one filled with miniature chocolate bars. a tin with a solid one pound chocolate shaped like a little birthday cake. the third box filled with laffy taffy, sweettarts, and runts. he knows me so well. and what is doubly sweet is that he got me this present knowing i would share it with the ladies of the house. he's going to win the girls over big time if he feeds their sweet tooth the way he feeds mine.

and i have the best friends. i got the cards with well wishes for my birthday and lots of birthday cheer. i am most thankful with every passing day for my friends.

and then there was another card in my mailbox when i got home tonight, a card from the soon to be ex. a second card. the first one came late last night before i went to bed and it made me cry, it was mushy and had a poem, and it was another admission that he had failed me and the poem was one that wished me all the best in my future life. i don't know if it was mean to be a guilt trip, or if it was meant to play on my sympathy, or if it was meant for me to call him and tell him "no it wasn't all your fault".... i just let it go and didn't respond at all. sooooo, the second card was him telling me that he had given me exactly what i had asked for as a birthday gift, because i had asked him yesterday to get the job he had an interview for today for my birthday. the second card said that he had an interview next week to discuss salary and benefits as a formality but he was sure he was hired and he would call me next week to discuss money with me and how to help me pay bills.......... if it happens... that would be a great birthday gift and a huge load off my mind.

we will see though... he has been in this position before where he thought he had a job and it fell through.... i'm hoping it works out for him. i really do.

then the last thing of my day...

around 11:00 the thirteen year old who is technically living with her *mother* but is living here part time still (okay, we all know what this really means), anyway, at 11:00 she goes into full panic mode about not having anything to wear to her camp banquet tomorrow. she just didn't think about it before 11 at night. and to be honest, she really doesn't have anything to wear. i mean this kid went from being a kid to being nearly a full grown woman in one school year. so off to the 24 hour walmart we went. and being a teenager she found something to suit her and all was good. but the freaky thing was this... we walk in and there are allllllllll these people in this rural walmart supercenter... like the day after thanksgiving crowd. at midnight ??? and then i remembered... the harry potter book. and sure enough, that's what they were all there for, to get the newest harry potter book. so i went ahead and got my copy, just like i said i would on my birthday, even if it did come about by accident.

so there you have it...

yard work deja vu
a tower of candy
groovy birthday cards
late night walmart shopping
and the new harry potter book

and maybe, just maybe, ms karma is going to come through and help me get an ex husband a job so he can start paying some bills. i think we all can use a little good birthday karma :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home